Broadchurch's Olivia Colman - "David Tennant Is An Angel And An Absolute Sweetheart"



Olivia Colman has been talking to The Guardian about her career and working on Broadchurch with David Tennant who she describes as "An angel and absolute sweetheart."
She also recalls how emotional she got whilst filming the first series and how she cried whilst reading the script for the drama which centers on the murder of 11 year old Danny Latimer, "It's just awful, the idea that your children could go before you," 
A visit to a mortuary for the show was also emotional:  "The man who ran it was just beautiful and respectful. I thought if I lost anyone I loved I wouldn't mind entrusting them to this beautiful person. And then this beautiful boy Oskar [McNamara] who played Danny – we weren't shown him before we filmed. We just came in and there was this child lying dead. Even though the script says you're hardened, I just couldn't bear it and started sobbing. It was awful."
She admits she almost turned down the role of Ellie Miller is Broadchurch as the filming in Dorset would mean she had to spend a lot of time away from her children, "Since having kids, I find things much rawer. My priority is my family and I can't bear to leave them." 
We can expect to see Olivia return for the second series of Broadchurch, but she's not giving any secrets away "I know what the premise is for the second one but I don't know if I should tell you.".
However one role she is ruling herself out for is that of the Doctor in Doctor Who. She won't be following in her friend David Tennant's footsteps and says we shouldn't expect to see her popping up in the TARDIS when current Doctor Matt Smith departs at Christmas,
"My brother texted me yesterday and said: 'Congratulations – you're 14-1 at the bookies for Doctor Who." but she denies her involvement with a shake of the head and says "I imagine they've already approached the people they're thinking about."

You can read the rest of the interview with Olivia Colman on The Guardian website here.

Comments